Shatterproof Window Film Application in Chicago: Quick & Affordable
A shatterproof film (aka anti-shatter, safety, security, or fragment retention film) is applied over windows or other glass surfaces to strengthen them in case of breakage, and prevent shards from scattering around. Here at Tinting Chicago, we offer our clients the safest shatterproof films from the top brands. And they are super affordable too! Give us a call for a free estimate at 773-455-0467 or 312-212-0493.
Why would you need a shatterproof window tint?
Home windows can often break, whether from storms or objects flying in the air that hit them. If this happens, broken pieces can be scattered everywhere, becoming dangerous both for the homeowners and their pets.
Today you can add a layer of protection to pretty much any glass surface of your home by installing an anti-shatter film. It protects the glass and is transparent so it won’t interfere with natural light transmittance.
2 key benefits of a shatterproof film
- Increases the safety of your home. A window with shatterproof film applied over it is harder to break or penetrate. While a regular window can break in a split second, one that has been reinforced with shatterproof film can take 15 seconds or more. This helps to increase the safety of your home against intruders and can give you valuable extra time to call the police.
- Hold the glass in place in case of breakage. If a window does break for any reason the shattered pieces will be held in place and scatter everywhere.
Brands of shatterproof window films
Over the years, the Tinting Chicago specialists have tested the performance of multiple brands. After more than 12 years of continuous work, we chose the best. These 3 brands have been proven to be high-quality and durable:
- 3M — a reputable American brand, and industry leader among shatterproof film manufacturers. The 3M window films are some of the most resistant in extreme weather conditions, which is an important quality when it comes to anti-shatter films.
- Solyx — this brand is a part of the 3M company, but belongs to a mid-range price category. Solyx shatterproof films are high quality and quite popular among homeowners. They come in various shades, patterns, and colors.
- Suntek — the shatterproof films of this brand offers good price-quality balance and are super popular among our Chicago clients. They come in a variety of colors and with different UV protection properties. You can also choose different levels of VLT (visual light transmission) for more or less privacy.
Shatterproof window film installation in Chicago
To learn more about the best ways to protect your home windows against shattering or breaking, call Tinting Chicago at 773-455-0467 or 312-212-0493 and have a chat with one of our experienced technicians. They are ready to assist you 24/7! We offer a free on-site estimate: we can visit your house at any convenient time and present you with a quote and free samples!
Asked Questions See more
Yes, it is. The glass is much thicker than a layer of film, therefore, it is more resistant to mechanical damage. But not every space requires such strong reinforced windows! Regularly, application of a shatterproof film is totally enough.
Obviously, the thicker the film, the better the protection. But the recommended thickness for optimum protection is between 8 and 12 mil.
If the film was initially professionally installed — and then professionally removed, there is almost zero chance that it will damage windows. In the case of low-quality films, the wrong choice of the film, self-installation, or removal — yes, the windows can be damaged (cracked, scratched, etc.). Examples? Installation of the automotive films on buildings’ windows; installation of the films designed for the indoors outside; too low temperatures during the installation. It is better to save time and money by ordering a professional residential window tint installation/removal.