Window Film To Prevent Bird Strikes – Help Save Birds’ Lives!
The bird strike prevention film is a specialty tint added to windows to prevent birds from hitting them. There are multiple types of such films, but the main idea is to make the window more visible so birds don’t fly into them. Keep on reading to learn more and call Tinting Chicago at 773-455-0467 or 312-212-0493 to get yours installed by a professional today.Book appointment
Birds hitting windows – a bigger problem than you think
According to results from a study conducted in Chicago, a single building was monitored for 26 years and results showed more than 31,000 birds from 141 different species died from accidentally flying into it.
After habitat loss, bird collisions with man-made structures are the second major cause of death for birds in North America. Some experts say that around 100 million birds die from window strikes and other collisions each year.
Why do birds hit windows?
The former president of the American Bird Conservancy states that aside from tall buildings and structures, regular homes can be dangerous for birds as well. Each home may kill 12 or more birds each year, without the owner being aware most of the time.
Birds hit glass windows for 3 main reasons:
- The windows are reflecting the environment and birds can’t tell the difference.
- The windows are transparent and birds don’t see.
- The birds get confused by the bright lights in the city and collide with buildings, homes, and even each other
4 other ways to prevent bird strikes
- Close the curtains or blinds as often as possible.
- Move houseplants away from the windows so birds don’t try to fly towards them.
- Move bird feeders closer to the windows.
- Apply a window film to prevent bird strikes
Best window films to prevent bird accidents
These films have proven to be very effective. They are affordable, easy to apply or remove by a professional, and will not interfere with your daily activities. The options include:
- Bird screens. These are black fiberglass screens that hang loosely in front of the glass, providing a soft cushion for the birds that strike.
- Bird netting. Made of durable polypropylene, they provide a reliable barrier that will keep birds from hitting windows.
- Anti-reflective films. As mentioned earlier, reflection is one of the main causes of bird collisions.
- Window design films. We have a multitude of colored or patterned films that can make interesting designs, reduce glare and UV, and also keep the birds away.
Asked Questions See more
Yes, even a regular tinting film can be useful. This is because it makes the windows less transparent and more visible to birds. But be aware of mirror films, as these can cause more damage. Twice the number of strikes took place at non-reflective sheet glass compared to conventional clear panes.
This depends on the severity of the impact, but unfortunately, most birds do not recover. Injuries and internal bleeding are eventually causing the bird to die or to become vulnerable to predators.
There are many superstitions out there related to birds hitting windows, but we are not here to discuss or to debunk them. We are here to protect your windows (as well as the birds) with our window films. So don’t hesitate and book your appointment now at 773-455-0467 or 312-212-0493.